Wednesday, December 21, 2011

God's call to adopt was very subtle.  It was easy for me to feel the call to adopt, but Ricky wasn't so sure.  He was so worried about the financial commitment.  I was confident that if God wanted us to open our hearts to adoption, that He would provide a way.  In July 2011, my brother, Matt, and his wife, Shawna, brought home a baby girl from China.  My family had been praying for sweet Emma for 6 years.  It was so exciting to finally meet her.  While Matt and Shawna were in China we were able to Skype with them.  Technology is so cool!  Several other families traveled with Matt and Shawna to adopt other babies.  After looking at the pictures of the other families, Ricky commented, "I know she's ours, but she is the prettiest of all the babies."  It seemed like after Emma came home, I couldn't stop thinking about adoption.  One day at school a kindergarten student, who happened to be Asian, asked me if I had any kids.  After I answered no, he kindly told me I needed to get one!  It was so funny!  Later that day, a fourth grade student saw a picture of my niece on my desk.  He asked if she was my daughter.  Again, after I said no, he said, "You should adopt."  I think God has a great sense of humor.  


Even though we felt God's call to adopt, we were unsure of how to come up with the money needed for the adoption.  In Exodus 4 Moses questions why God was calling him.  Moses was unsure of his skills and abilities.   God told Moses to use the staff that He placed in his hand. After hearing a sermon on this passage at church, I decided to sell cake pops to save money to go towards the adoption. 


In September of 2011 we met with the local adoption agency, Bethany.  We learned at the meeting that we don't meet the age requirements.  We both have to be 30 years old or within 4 months of turning 30 to adopt from China.  Our plan is to begin the process in June after Ricky turns 30. 

2 comments:

  1. Beth, God does have an awesome sense of humor. I love how he revealed his plan to you guys. I didn't realize that there were age requirements to adopt. I will be praying for you guys. I know God will provide to fulfill his will in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how God sends us "signs" that confirm our thoughts. It's nice to feel that support and encouragement to know that you're doing the right thing. This is amazing! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete