Tuesday, December 20, 2011

God's call to adopt

This is my first attempt at writing a blog.  I've never considered myself a creative writer, I like writing research papers better.  It's hard for me to put my thoughts down on paper, but I wanted a way to record the events and details of the adoption.  So, here goes!


I've always had a love for children, especially children that are in need.  In high school, I volunteered at Special Olympics every spring.  I also worked at a summer camp for adults with disabilities.  I'm happiest when I'm working with children and adults with disabilities.  That's my calling in life.  I truly feel that God gifted me with the ability to work with children and adults with disabilities.  I pursued a teaching degree in college.  I have a teaching license for Exceptional Education K-12.  Currently, I am an inclusion teacher at a local elementary school in Chattanooga.


When my husband and I decided to finally have kids, we thought it would be so easy.  Well, apparently it's not so easy to get pregnant.  After two unsuccessful years of trying to conceive, I had exploratory surgery.  They discovered that I had stage 3 endometriosis and were able to remove all of it.  The doctor said he would be surprised if I wasn't pregnant within 3-6 months.  He was right.  I got pregnant the very first month after the surgery.  Life was so good.  We were so thrilled.  At my seven week appointment, we learned that I had miscarried.  Ricky and I were devastated.  I wanted so desperately to wake up from the bad dream.  We continued to try, and I actually got pregnant again.  But that pregnancy only lasted 4 weeks.  My doctor recommended some blood work to find a cause for the miscarriages.  I found out in May 2011 that I have a blood clotting disorder call MTHFR.  I also don't metabolize folic acid.  Now I take a baby aspirin every day as well as a special prenatal vitamin.  When and if I get pregnant in the future, I will give myself a Lovenox blood thinner shot everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment